Monticello and https://

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Tue May 24 21:28:50 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was under the impression that WebDAV is the preferred network
> substrate for Monticello, for the reason that you can connect securely
> via SSL.  However, searching the list archive turned up no information
> about Monticello over secure WebDAV.
>
> Can WebDAV work over SSL? If so, does anything fancy need to be done at
> the client end?
>
> Is WebDAV the preferred way to use Monticello, or am I confused?

WebDAV is the preferred way (at least in that it's the way most people
seem to use, although FTP also gets a fair amount of use).  But not
because of SSL - the problem is that Squeak has no built in SSL
support*, and so can't handle https: URLs directly.  The easiest way
around this is to use stunnel to forward HTTP requests to a local port
through as HTTPS requests to a specific remote server.  I can't
remember exactly what the options are you need to give stunnel to do
this but it's pretty straightforward.  And yes, there should be no
problem on the server side combining SSL and DAV.

Avi

*At some point last year I looked over the Cryptography package on
SqueakMap with Martin Kobicek, who wrote VW's native SSL library, and
he said that most of what you'd need is there - so if someone's
feeling ambitious...