pending mac VM 3.8.8b2

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Wed May 25 06:19:17 UTC 2005

Thanks. Got one now.

A general question about VMs. I've been "playing" mostly with Squeak
to learn Smalltalk as well as the Squeak environment, Seaside, and
Omnibase. I haven't really done anything serious or any serious
programming yet. However, looking at other people's work and
postings, I know there are others doing serious programming in Squeak.

My intentions are to develop several production applications for
clients of mine. Hopefully host them all in a single VM (since that's
what I'm used to do now using Apache and Ruby on Rails). My question is:

Looking at all the progress being made in Squeak with version 3.8 and
upcoming versions, with changes being made almost daily, is Squeak
ready to be used for serious production web-based applications (using
Seaside) or is VW more mature and stable? Just launching 3.8 VM and
its image, the first thing the Welcome to message says is: "Squeak is
a rapidly moving project based on Smalltalk-80, with which it is
still reasonably compatible". What does it mean by reasonably
compatible? Is it more compatible than VW? Please excuse this naive
question since I'm still relatively new to Smalltalk and the two
mostly mentioned VMs I've heard of are Squeak and VW. Maybe VW is in
a similar level/stage as Squeak, i don't know.

Thanks,
Daniel