Monticello and https://

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Wed May 25 07:57:28 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/24/05, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was under the impression that WebDAV is the preferred network
> > substrate for Monticello, for the reason that you can
> connect securely
> > via SSL.  However, searching the list archive turned up no
> information
> > about Monticello over secure WebDAV.
> >
> > Can WebDAV work over SSL? If so, does anything fancy need
> to be done at
> > the client end?
> >
> > Is WebDAV the preferred way to use Monticello, or am I confused?
>
> WebDAV is the preferred way (at least in that it's the way most people
> seem to use, although FTP also gets a fair amount of use).  But not
> because of SSL - the problem is that Squeak has no built in SSL
> support*, and so can't handle https: URLs directly.  The easiest way

<snip>

> *At some point last year I looked over the Cryptography package on
> SqueakMap with Martin Kobicek, who wrote VW's native SSL library, and
> he said that most of what you'd need is there - so if someone's
> feeling ambitious...

Is there any particular reason why we wouldn't want to write a plugin
talking to OpenSSL instead? I mean, I wouldn't dream of discouraging a
courageous fellow from implementing SSL, but OpenSSL's been around for
quite some time, and has been hammered on a great deal - we can be
reasonably certain that it's pretty secure. (OK, I'll take off my
Security Hat now.)

This email and attachments (if any) must be swept for viruses before opening. Their contents may be confidential or privileged and are intended solely for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this email in error you must not read or use this email and should notify RNID on: +44 (0) 20 7296 8282.

RNID, Registered Office 19-23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England, Registered Charity No. 207720)