Monticello and https://

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Wed May 25 10:47:18 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/25/05, Frank Shearar <Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > *At some point last year I looked over the Cryptography package on
> > > SqueakMap with Martin Kobicek, who wrote VW's native SSL
> library, and
> > > he said that most of what you'd need is there - so if someone's
> > > feeling ambitious...
> >
> > Is there any particular reason why we wouldn't want to
> write a plugin
> > talking to OpenSSL instead? I mean, I wouldn't dream of
> discouraging a
> > courageous fellow from implementing SSL, but OpenSSL's been
> around for
> > quite some time, and has been hammered on a great deal - we can be
> > reasonably certain that it's pretty secure.
>
> That would also be good, of course.  But does OpenSSL build on the
> Acorn?  PocketPC? :)

Er ah yes. "Cross platform" does not mean "runs on Windows and Unix
clones". Still, for those OSes that support it, it's a better idea to
use OpenSSL. Maybe using that thingy Goran's just mentioned.

frank

This email and attachments (if any) must be swept for viruses before opening. Their contents may be confidential or privileged and are intended solely for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this email in error you must not read or use this email and should notify RNID on: +44 (0) 20 7296 8282.

RNID, Registered Office 19-23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England, Registered Charity No. 207720)