Talking to other languages (with callbacks!) - possible solution

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 24 21:58:10 UTC 2005

I see you've posted your D-bus bindings, Daniel.  Cool!

What I meant by overhead and by talking to arbitrary libraries is, for
example, is this a way to connect Squeak to the Tcl/Tk libraries?  Those
libraries make some callbacks, and so Squeak's FFI is not enough to get
the full functionality from them.  Would it be reasonable to hook Tcl/Tk
up to D-bus and then have Squeak and Tcl/Tk talk to each other via
D-Bus?  Or is this kind of effort just too much work to contemplate?

What you've written is cool whether or not this is true.  I'm just
curious how much it lowers the desire for us to have C-level callback
support.

-Lex