[ANN] wxSqueak 0.4

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Thu May 26 11:28:29 UTC 2005

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>

>> Wow! You know, if it were to have more problems, it would give us more
>>
>>to talk about....  Really, this is fine work.  It provides a great way
>>to deploy Squeak-based programs that integrate nicely onto existing
>>desktop OS's.
>>

>In fact, I think wxSqueak is one of the coolest things going right now,
>next to Exupery and Seaside. :) Finally we can build nice looking
>"native" apps using Squeak and, hey, that is what a lot of people want
>to be able to do. Dolphin just got some serious competition IMHO.

Thanks, guys!  There's still a long way to go, but the core is looking
pretty solid.

>>Okay, one random question.  Do you have any idea if the tinyBenchmarks
>>result you reported matters for larger chunks of code?  Any idea what is
>>going on there?  I don't see why your extensions would affect
>>

>I am just guessing - but didn't Rob write he used Visual C++ to build
>the VM? Then I guess the gnuification isn't used. Or my memory may be
>off.

That's precisely the problem. I'm currently building the Win32 app with
internal plugins using VC6.
Steve Swerling did some benchmarking with different compiler settings
and found that nothing
could come closer than 50% of the speed of the gnuified build.

BTW, the OS X build does use a gnuified interpreter. The speedup from
gnuify is less dramatic
with gcc3.3 -O2, but still significant.

In the not-too-distant future I plan to move to external plugins, so I
should be able to use the
normal build process for the VM.

.. Rob