Yet Another SBC

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu May 26 16:49:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:31 +0200, Marcus Denker wrote:
> This runs Linux+Gnome. The interesting thing is now: Gnome is even
> younger than Squeak (I think
> it started in the fall of 1997).
>
> The big question now is: Why does this device not run Squeak as the
> OS/GUI? Why is Squeak as
> a project not in a state that it could be the OS of this device? Or:
> Why did Squeak fail?

Two big reasons in my mind:
	1) the visual appearance of Squeak is terrible, and its UI is poor.
People's standards are much higher today.  When I play with Squeak, I
find it a blast from the past (mid 1980's).  Most people don't see past
Squeak's appearance to its other virtues....
	2) The world is not all smalltalk...  For better or worse, a critical
mass of applications exist for Linux using C, C++, Python, Perl, etc,
and any effectively closed environment will never go mainstream.

			Regards,
				- Jim