team laptop reports failure (was: Yet Another SBC)

Bruce O'Neel edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri May 27 12:59:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 07:38:04PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Meanwhile, I have been trying to get something close to my original
> option 2 (Squeak on hidden Linux layer) running on my next web server
> machine. Fflinux seems too specific to the ITX motherboard, so that
> wasn't a good option. Other very small Linuxes seem to be based on 2.0.x
> kernels and that probably isn't a good idea for what I want to do. I
> tried the "Linux From Scratch" route but can't even compile glibc
> properly. Suddenly rewritting a whole TCP/IP stack in Smalltalk doesn't
> sound so bad ;-)

You might, or might not, find it easier to use NetBSD.

+ can cross build so you can easily build on a fast sysetm.

+ should be pretty easy to build from source.  You
get the source tar balls, untar them, and run build.sh.

+ the build process is supposed to be pretty easy
to configure so that you can strip out bits you don't
want.   I have no idea about this.

+ build.sh is supposed to be portable, but, I've never
used it on systems other than NetBSD ones.

+ NetBSD runs most places.

- not linux (if this is important to you).  Less file system
choice for example.

- or + not gpl.

- The BSD wars make the Linux/Windows wars look polite. :-)

- The folks who did the build process assumed that you wanted
become an expert so getting started isn't so easy.

One of my back burner projects is an iso to install
a Squeak Machine and one to install a Lisp machine.
It's way back burner though.

cheers

bruce

edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org