Runtime Traits?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon May 30 20:01:06 UTC 2005

Hi Mike,

The only (forgivable) ignorance on your behalf is in making the
distinction between compile time and runtime. There is no such thing in
the 21st century. It is perfectly possible, well-motivated, and indeed
likely to be trivial to add traits at runtime. You might have to create
a new class for making this work but then again, this can happen at
runtime (the eToy system uses this extensively to give you a
prototype-feel in the environment). If you dig around just a little
you'll probably find the messages that are needed to add traits dynamically.

And yes, you should be a little concerned. You have all the means you
need to shoot yourself in the foot in entirely new and unforeseen ways.
But hey, you asked for it, didn't you? ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas