Code example repository

Yar Hwee Boon hboon at motionobj.com
Tue May 31 10:44:02 UTC 2005

On 31-May-05, at PM 06:27, Chris Schreiner wrote:

>> Emm.. Browse for implementers/senders/references, etc or use the
>> method finder?
>>
> I guess you're right, however, I cannot see how I can effectively
> learn about the framework as a whole coherent system (if it is).
> Browsing specific areas suggest that I already know about the
> existence of those areas.

snipped.

> So my point is, I guess, is there a facility related to Squeak that
> allow me to understand the framework as a whole?

Well, then my point of view is that you have chosen the wrong example
in the Java Developers Almanac :) It doesn't explain frameworks. It is
really a cookbook, albeit a lower level one, but nevertheless useful.

As for your question, to understand frameworks, I would read docs and
tutorials instead, which admittedly is more sparse over here. But it is
not all that bad, since over here, frameworks tends to be much
compact/simpler and easier to understand, and you have a much better
environment to explore them with. Then slowly, you will get to know
what methods, classes to look out for. For eg. compare the beaten to
death Struts vs. Seaside. There has been many books and tutorials
written for Struts and just a handful for Seaside. But still I would
think most people who have used both can confidently say that Seaside
is much easier to pick up.

Do you have a particular framework in mind? Maybe someone familiar with
it can point you to the right resources.

--
HweeBoon
MotionObj