Code example repository

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Tue May 31 16:08:15 UTC 2005

I believe that understanding a program by by reading its code
statically instead of stepping through it with the debugger
is like understanding a movie by reading its script instead of watching
it.  ;-)

So also look at the tests and parameterless methods of the class side
(typical example*-methods) if there are any.
They will set up the right context to run specific methods.
Then you can put a halt somewhere and step through the code with the
debugger.

Browsing references to classes via alt-n on the class selected also
helps me to understand the coarse layout of an unknown system.

Cheers,

Markus

p.s. I am working on making the connection between methods and tests
explicit, so that the tests would show up directly besides their tested
methods.

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~gaelli/oneMethodCommands.png
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~gaelli/oneMethodExampleBrowser.png
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~gaelli/UnitTestTaxonomy.pdf