Code example repository

Chris Schreiner chris.schreiner at online.no
Tue May 31 18:36:51 UTC 2005

Milan Zimmermann wrote:

>On May 31, 2005 06:05 am, Chris Schreiner wrote:
>

>>There is a thing in the Java world, which I am certain some of you have
>>encountered, it can be found at http://www.javaalmanac.com".
>>Its just a crude lookup mechanism, using simple keywords to identify
>>example-code-segments.
>>

>What I (personally) value on the Java Almanach is not so much the "API
>reference" but rather the growing set of simple "how-to" code examples,
>divided by packages which are a decent equivalent to function. Even doing
>Java for a long time I find myself using Java Almanach examples sometimes, if
>I need code from an area I did not do before.

...or even did do before, the capacity of my brain is not infinite, and
programming helps me reminding my ego of this fact.

>I was actually thinking to start an equivalent (Squeak Almanach if you will)
>as means of learning Smalltalk/Squeak, but realized this is way bigger than
>the few hours a week I seem to gather max. Perhaps it would be an interesting
>collaborative effort, if more people would find it useful, there are many
>examples on the Squeak wiki that could serve as a start.

This is interesting. It would be nice to have a Squeak section, with
naive examples. I know that code is out there, for me to file in and
study, but doing this becomes an information overload, and I end up
playing chess instead. Well, patience I guess ;-)