RV: Instrumenting Send and what is StrikeFontSet>displayString:on:from:to:at:kern:baselineY: doing?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 3 03:03:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 05:38:55PM -0800, John M McIntosh wrote:
> (got to love = versus == issues as always in C, 27 years of practice
> and I still can get it  right).

Worse than that, I didn't spot it until I looked at the generated
C code. So I was staring at the "=" versus ":=" and not seeing it,
but when I saw the "==" instead of "=" in C, I noticed it. So maybe
that funky left-arrow assignment character isn't such a dumb idea
after all ;)

> > <intermittent irreproducible bug description snipped>
>
> I think the issue here (and might suggest you could make the change)
> is to set a flag on the signal change to avoid a race condition
> between the interpreter and the signal handler for access to the file
> handle. I wonder if the file gets closed by the signal as we are
> doing fprintfs....

It sure seems like it must be that sort of problem. Only thing is,
nothing is being done in the context of the Unix signal handler.
By forwarding the Unix signal to a Squeak Semaphore, we are
ensuring that the signal handling work is done in the interpreter
itself, hence no such race condition should be possible.

Unfortunately, noone has informed the bug of the impossibility
of its existence, so it still seems to be happening.

I'll try harder to reproduce this, and see if your suggestion helps.

Dave