RFD - Envy-like MC repository

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 05:11:24 UTC 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Cees De Groot wrote:

> What I'd like to have, at the end, is that you have a central database
> on your laptop that you log all your changes to (ideally completely
> getting rid of the changes file). Then, saving an MC version is merely
> a matter of noting the current versions of all the classes/methods in
> the MC package, I think that an .mcz can be reconstructed on-the-fly
> from the database.

Cees,

That last part sounds very much like MC2 (codename "Slice") - each
method etc version has an id (hash + timestamp) that can be used to
individually retrieve it from the repository; the equivalent of
an .mcz is just a list of these ids.  So it will be, at the least, to
see to what degree Anvil and Slice grow towards each other.

Avi