FFI, ODBC and mysterious crashes

Simon Kirk Simon.Kirk at pinesoft.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 13:36:05 UTC 2005

Valdas Bucinskas wrote:

>Hei ,
>
>I'm trying to get an ODBC connection working properly between a 3.8
>Squeak VM running on unix (gentoo linux) and an Intersystems Caché
>database instance, but i'm getting some mysterious issue that is making
>Squeak crash with no warning.
>

>I recall experiencing smth similar that was related to the growth of
>connections to the database.
> I guess this is a dumb question, but are you sure, you always close all the
>cursors to the DB?
>
>Valdas

Hi Valdas, thanks for helping out.
I didn't make clear - this crash is happening at connect time, I'm never
actually able to establish retrieve an ODBCConnection object back from
the connection attempt, so I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to cursors in
the DB. To double-check that sort of thing I'm running a dedicated test
database on an otherwise unused box, and I've tried stopping the
database completely and restarting it before loading the Squeak image
and attempting a connection. Result: Squeak still crashes. I'm positive
that the C in the Intersystems' ODBC driver is tramping on Squeak somehow.

Cheers,
Simon