My first morph

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Tue Nov 8 22:45:40 UTC 2005

Am 08.11.2005 um 22:06 schrieb Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com:
> Thanks Bert, I thought there must be something somewhere. How to
> use it is another matter, and EventTest isn't immediately helping!
> I am still really struggling with the syntax and the fact there is
> no documentation on these things and no comments in the code I find
> pretty aggravating. Why on earth do people write code with zero
> comments, even at the class level - do they assume everyone
> instantly understands the intension or is this the ST way. I am
> sure I will get it if I stare long enough!
Missing class comments are indeed a problem. However, code
documentation generally is deemed less necessary, since Smalltalk
itself is rather verbose compared to other programming languages. In
addition, unit tests are seen as a good way to both document and
verify behavior. Like, in EventTest, you see many examples of how you
can use events.

But the most important thing for a Smalltalk novice is to learn how
to use the coding tools to explore the system. Senders, implementors,
inst var refs, class refs etc. are just a key-stroke away and help
you to get to know everything.

Btw, it would be nice if you stop sending HTML mails to the list - we
prefer plain text.

- Bert -