'self error: ..' considered harmful?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Nov 11 01:08:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:26:47AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Of course, the best way to prevent the problem of what to do about
> raising exceptions is to *stop making mistakes*.
>
> tim

It's about darn time somebody took a firm stand on this issue.

How often have we we all wished we could say this, but were just
too timid to stand up for what we know is right? It always seems
to be easier to write "just one more" exception handler, when
we know that what we really should do is face up to the true
problems of stupidity and user malfeasance. Kudos to Tim for
setting an example that we can all be proud to emulate.

Dave