modification of ContextPart?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat Nov 12 19:02:33 UTC 2005

Michael,

I just read your paper "Virtual Machine Support for Aspects with Advice
Instance Tables" - was not aware that you're hacking Jikes and the like ;)

You can always add a new temp (max temps is 64...) to any existing method
by modifying MethodNode>>generate: (nTemps: + 1) and recompiling,
regardless of what the method declares and without modifying the source
method. Then access the new temp (which from here on is only known to you
:) by
  ctx tempAt: ctx method numTemps put: anAdviceInstance

This is compatible in case of saving/loading images and does not need a
change to the VM and achieves the smallest possible runtime performance
penalty :)

And if I understood your first message correctly, you want that
BlockContext has its advice instance propagated from its creating
MethodContext (and so on). If so: happily the temps of BlockContext are
maintained in their respective "home" MethodContext (have a look at the
implementors of #tempAt:) so, nothing else is needed.

Of course some testing is necessary before the above can be taken as
granted...

We hope you will tell us when and how you eventually achieved your goal ;)

/Klaus