Squeak Midi

Enrico Schwass deckard73 at freenet.de
Sun Nov 13 11:23:49 UTC 2005

Hi

> > What I need first is reading in events from an external usb hardware
> > midi controller.
> see classes SimpleMIDIPort and MIDIInputParser. unless I did not
> understand what you want this should implement all you need.

I looked at this before, but I couldnt get working. I am sure I do
something wrong. The Alsa amidi -l gives me two devices at

hw:0,0 (my Soundcard) and
hw:1:0:0 (my usb controller device)

and on the linux command line I can read out the controller events per
amidi -p hw:1,0,0 --dump

My first test in squeak was

p := SimpleMIDIPort new.
p primPortCount.

to see how many ports are availaible, but it failed.
Maybe the MidiPlugin-Module is missing. I forgot to mention that I am
relative new to squeak.

PS: I checked this now and ... Ooops. During compilation of the
squeak-vm source I saw that something in the MIDIPlugin directory was
built.

enno at x5:~$ sudo find / -name "MIDIPlugin*"
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/Cross/plugins/MIDIPlugin
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/Cross/plugins/MIDIPlugin/MIDIPlugin.h
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/unix/src/vm/intplugins/MIDIPlugin
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/unix/src/vm/intplugins/MIDIPlugin/MIDIPlugin.c
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/unix/bld/MIDIPlugin
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/unix/bld/MIDIPlugin/MIDIPlugin.o
/home/enno/Squeak-3.8a-1/platforms/unix/bld/MIDIPlugin/MIDIPlugin.a

I guess the plugin should be a shared library, shouldnt it??

Some linux squeakers around??