A quick question about file URLs

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue Nov 15 11:44:28 UTC 2005

goran at krampe.se wrote:

> One thing that Michael and I disagree on (IIRC) is that my stance is
> that the path in a FileUrl is always absolute. Michael has implemented

We only slightly disagree ;-)
A valid file url according to http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html is

fileurl        = "file://" [ host | "localhost" ] "/" fpath

which means it always has 3 / in it. Meaning file://xxxx.xx is not a
valid file url. Which means that file url can't be relative. A uri can
be relative, as 'xxx.xx' is a valid relative uri. But, it is only useful
when resolved against an absolute one.

Hey, we should make entries to the yearly Squeak event calender:

Spring - license discussion
Summer = mailing list vs forum discussion
Fall - absolute uri discussion
Winter - ??

;-)

Michael