Random and unsolicited feedback on 3.9a

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 16 16:15:58 UTC 2005

Stef,

> I was pleased to see FixUnderscores in the image. It seems to work,
> grumbling about only a few methods in Kernel and Morphic, the two
> packages against which I ran it. Is the plan to leave it to
> individuals, or to convert the entire image prior to release of 3.9?

We will see since recompiling all the packages may introduce problems
(since we do not have atomic load).
The plan is to try to do it.

Sounds good.  Thanks for working on it!!

> Will the prohibition against underscores in selectors be removed at
> the
> same time?

I do not think so. Someone should propose a change first :)

With tongue only partly in cheek, how about this one:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2002-October/045216.html

I will admit that removing the entanglement of _ with assignment is
preferable, but having the ability to include _ anywhere but the first
character of a selector is a huge down payment.  Why is this not in the
mainstream image?  It would be huge help to those of us with RDB centric
uses for _ in selectors.

Sincerely,

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.