Underscores in Identifiers

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 19 23:29:27 UTC 2005

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> I thought that we could assign a compiler class to a class. At least  in
> VW this was that way that roel loaded Prolog like methods with a file in.
> So I would avoid the preferences plague.

Actually, I don't like this approach too much simply because it creates
complete confusion about what the underscore stands for. The way I would
try to address the problem is by annotating the source representation
(e.g., file-outs) since this is an issue which is only applicable when
filing in code so that new code can be distinguished properly. Like for
example, a line that says 'Parser attributes: underscoreIsLetter' (or
something in that mood) and that, Stream>>fileIn can use to set up the
parser properly.

Cheers,
   - Andreas