What is this DoItIn: method on my class ?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sun Nov 20 19:07:01 UTC 2005

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>1. Why is there no #ensure: to make absolutely sure the method gets
>removed after a failed evaluation?
>
>2. Why do we need to create a #DoIt/#DoItIn: at all? I thought we can
>evaluate any compiled-method within a receiver with
>CompiledMethod>>valueWithReceiver:arguments:
>
>I think there is something wrong with that code. Anybody can give an
>explanation about this?

This approach to evaluating code has been around much longer than either
ensure: or valueWithReceiver:arguments:.
It is a remnant of the original Smalltalk-80 image. Of course it can be
redone (I would prefer the second of the two options you outlined above).
Would you be willing to DoIt? :-) It would be very welcome!

Cheers,
Hans-Martin