WordNet class needs Updating

Chris Nelson xradionut at mac.com
Tue Nov 22 22:39:44 UTC 2005

Marcus,

Thanks for your reply.

After further examination of the code, I did determine that the current
WordNet methods do rely on "page-scraping" to get the responses. It
appears that most WordNet clients download the database and and the
APIs provided by the site to offer a independent WordNet service
instead of querying the site. I do agree that the current WordNet code
is broken and should probably be removed from Squeak. It would be nice
to have something to replace it with. I did some research and found
there is a online dictionary protocol, DICT as described in RFC 2229
and some projects that support this:

http://www.dict.org/links.html
http://www.freedict.org/en/

Many of the DICT servers online also offer WordNet access in addition
to other resources. There are free clients and servers available and I
did realize that I do have the OmniDictionary client and the DICTatoro
server on my local OS X computer.  So instead of replicating what the
WordNet class in Squeak 3.8 is now, I may try to see if I can create a
DICT client with similar functionality. Wish me luck, since I'm new to
Smalltalk, OO and network protocols. I will probably examine the code
from some of the Python client, since that is the language I'm most
familiar with.

Chris