MCConfigurations quick how-to

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Nov 24 00:27:25 UTC 2005

Am 24.11.2005 um 00:52 schrieb Cees De Groot:

> On 11/24/05, Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> wrote:
>> * Toolbuilder should not be necessary for using either Monticello or
>> MCConfigurations
>
> The newer MC password manager refers to UIManager default - at least
> that's what I remember about the reason why I loaded UIManager.

Ah, well, I thought UIManager was not actually part of ToolBuilder?
I'm not sure, I always have ToolBuilder loaded.

>> * the "upgrade" installation method is the most useful to me, it's
>> smart about not clobbering versions that are newer in the image
>
> Would you mind going in a bit more detail what upgrade does?

It loads/merges (depending on the upgradeIsMerge pref) only versions
that are not ancestors of the working copy. Because if the version
from the config map is already an ancestor of the working copy, it
should neither load nor merge it again.

>> * upgrading via config maps from an mcd-enabled SqueakSource server
>> is many times faster than loading individual mzc packages, because
>> the server builds a binary patch that is applied to the image without
>> any snapshotting/diffing
>>
> Ah, that's cool - upgrading is a bit slow at times. So you recommend
> to switch to mcd and the upgrade method to stay in sync?

There's no need to "switch" - just upload an mcz as before:

http://impara.de/pipermail/tweak/2005-May/000772.html

Also, this works with all three install methods (load/merge/upgrade)
as long as the working copy is unmodified. If it is modified, the
normal snapshotting and diffing is performed (but it still only
downloads the .mcd which should be a little faster).

>> * a configuration can be put in a global variable, then every day
>> just say "MyConf updateFromRepositories; upgrade", or say "MyConf
>> browse" to change it
>>
> Nice tip. Thanks :)

Also, literal config maps are handy sometimes. See second half of
this post:

http://mail.wiresong.ca/pipermail/monticello/2005-May/000156.html

- Bert -