New Squeaker Introduction

j thej at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 24 08:18:06 UTC 2005

Count me in on the documentation effort. I'm an ideal "Squeak
Newbee" (aka  Sucker for Punishment ;-) to bounce tutorials and
questions off of.

 From my perspective:

-The Squeak environment was the first point of confusion when I
started to investigate it.
It is very different from a conventional environment in it's
interaction and organization. Existing documentation for this is OK.
However, I would like to see (..and will help build) a tutorial /
cookbook on how to manage projects, filing in/out and other
environment basics as such. I think a Cookbook / FAQ style would be
best for teaching how to use specifics of the environment and
especially Widgets.

-Following closely to my first point is exploring Squeak. I have yet
to find a "complete" description of how to use a code browser; it's
capabilities and what these capabilities allow the user/coder to do.

-The Smalltalk language is without a doubt the best documented aspect
of Squeak. Unfortunately, it is also the simplest aspect of Squeak.

-After the Smalltalk language, I believe that the base objects should
be taught. I have read opinions that state you don't need to know the
"lower levels" of Squeak to start using it. Statements that say you
can work at a higher level..but how can anyone do anything in
Smalltalk/Squeak if they don't have a clue what is in the base
classes and how to put them to use !!! I haven't found ANY
documentation worth spit that 'introduces' the base classes. Teaching
the base classes really needs to be a focus for any Squeak
documentation effort. A BIG plus about the base classes is that they
are not the 'moving target' that the rest of Squeak can sometimes be.
They are mature and don't change much (right ?!!?)

One of my first efforts with Squeak was to learn eToys. I found the
documentation at the time so spotty and incomplete that I wrote my
own introduction:
eToys
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3626

Jason Hogue