Help getting started porting to eInk prototyping platform

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Nov 25 22:34:23 UTC 2005

Am 25.11.2005 um 20:22 schrieb Bob Courchaine:
>> You will have to copy from the Squeak display bitmap to the actual
>> screen memory and convert from Squeak's big endian pixels to little
>> endian - probably. Although technically ARMs can do bigendian I've
>> never actually met one that was setup that way. You might have some
>> work to do to make a 4bpp display mode work acceptably in recent
>> images
>> since I doubt anybody has used such for a while and bitrot may  well
>> have set in. You might be able to use an 8bpp Squeak dispaly and
>> compress during the copy-to-paper (I was going to say glass, but it
>> isn't, is it!) operation.
>
> Hmm-
>
> If 4bpp is going to be tough, I bet 2bpp is going to be even more
> work,

Actually, Squeak is quite happy to render to a 2 bpp display. I guess
what Tim meant with "acceptably" was that the actual colors (err,
gray tones) used throughout the system might not be appropriate.
Like, if you just set Squeak's display depth to 1 bpp on your desktop
machine, the Morphic menus are transparently dithered to complete
illegibility. But you wouldn't want Morphic there anyways I guess.

Regarding endianness: BitBlt now deals fine with LSB forms, I
thought. Works fine for 8 bpp at least, not sure about 2, though ...

- Bert -