[Help] [RFC] MultiClick-Waiting for click or drag stories and standards.

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 04:27:09 UTC 2005

I notice that some of the recent discussions have
touched on key-mapping and the mouse user interface.

I stumbled across problems with the ClickStateHandler
code a while back and have been slowly gaining
knowledge (or confusion) about this ever since. I have
even tried a substantial rewrite/bug fix which I've
added to http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1347.

There's too much detail to put into an email but to
summarize.

The double click handling specs have been changing
more or less constantly.  Including myself. There are
at least a half-dozen programmers who have taken a
whack at it. The guts of the logic have been changed
more than that many times.

One of the pieces needed is the user story of what
double click, click, drag and timeout should be doing.
How they should relate to each other and the
processing of mouse up,down and move; Mouse enter and
leave.
How should all of this affect mouse focus.

Squeak will be more powerful with this resolved.

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace