[Newbee] Salutations

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:33:10 UTC 2005

On 10/4/05, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote:
> How can we best push the "professionalization" and attraction of new
> users? I agree with Ron that SqueakFoundation would provide a good
> structure - its goals definitely are about this already. What I think
> is crucial and for now missing are committed people taking action and
> helping to push!

I believe one way would be to work toward a viable business
interaction platform.  I'm not much on using "standards" just because
they happen to be the fad for the day, but there are things that have
been around for years that don't seem to be going away any time soon
that Squeak just doesn't address.

For instance, you can't make HTTPS connections from Squeak, you have
to run stunnel or something in order to do this.  While that is not a
major hurdle it can be one of the deciding factors to not use Squeak
on a project.

Another area is the horrible SOA-based technologies.  I happen to
think that SOAP, for instance, is akin to driving a 2-inch nail with a
sledge hammer into pine wood -- but it's out there and has been for a
relatively long time.  It doesn't seem to be going away.  It would be
nice if the SOAP libraries in Squeak were more robust.  (This happens
to be near and dear to my heart because I had to settle for working in
Java for the last 1.5 years because the SOAP implementation was not
adequate).  Masashi has done a great job with the implementation so
far, but having more help would be nice I am sure.

These are just two simple thoughts.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20