Editors for the new website

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 20:18:38 UTC 2005

Hello all.  I am excited by the amount of enthusiasm I see in the
community about the new site.  Thanks.

There have been several inquiries about how to become an editor to the
new site.  We don't currently have a well-defined process to add new
editors, but we will do our best to put our minds together and figure
out what that should be.

Currently you can just send a request to the website team list or dev
list.  Please let us know what you would like for your username.  If
we "have an opening" for a new editor a password will be assigned to
you.  However, for security reasons we would like to not send this
information through standard email.  What I have done in the past is
to put the login information on Box2 in the website user's home
directory.  I will ask you for an SSH key and add it to the website
user's authorized_keys file on Box2.  At that point you will be able
to SCP the file down (or just SSH in to the box and read the file) to
get your password.

I realize that is not an optimal process, but I don't think adding
editors ought to be that optimal.  It's just opens the site up to
industrious hackers by sniffing emails.

If you think I am being too paranoid feel free to chastise me.  If I
am chastened enough perhaps I will change the process.  Likewise, if
you have a better idea how to add editors securely let me know.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20