(newbee) Squeak servlets?

James Robertson jarober at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:41:16 UTC 2005

Well, VW supports servlets.  They don't load into a JVM like Java servlets
do, but they operate the same way.  You have a persistent image that keeps
running, and either a port redirection or CGI relay from the http server.

In terms of how it looks at the front end, it's all just servlets - I have
a servlet in my blog server that implement the server side of the
MetaWebLog API, for instance.

There's no reason you couldn't do the same in Squeak

At 04:30 PM 10/6/2005, you wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:48:55 -0700, Marcus Pedersén
><marcus.pedersen at comhem.se> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>I have a small application to do for my work and I would realy like to
>>use Squeak instead of Java. But I need a bit of help to start me up. I
>>want to do what java calls servlet, in other words I want an application
>>executing on the server and is displayed in the webbrowser and be able
>>to read and write to files.
>>What is this called in squeak?
>>Are there any good tutorials on that subject?
>>The basic idea and structure in squeak?
>>
>>Many thanks in advance!
>>
>>Regards
>>Marcus
>

>As far as I know, you cannot, strictly speaking, write a "servlet" in
>Smalltalk. A Java servlet extends a webserver (typically Apache) and is a
>way around the knotty issues of saving state, etc. I think Squeak would
>have to plug in to that same API to satisfy the technical definition of a
>servlet.
>
>As Brad points out, however, Seaside has most (if not all) of the same
>benefits as a servlet, and then some.

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView