OFF Topics :: PC-laptop or Powerbook

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri Oct 7 15:52:10 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

> I'll add one more question to the fire:
> Anyone using a laptop and Linux to run Squeak? If so, are you happy?
> What would you change?
>
> brad

Dell Inspiron 8500 running Gentoo linux.  2Ghz P 4-M

0 tinyBenchmarks '178148921 bytecodes/sec; 6024918 sends/sec'

Croquet is unusable although other non-Squeak 3D apps are fine.  I have
been using this laptop for 3 years with no problems.  The widescreen
aspect ratio is a pain to deal with when outputting through a projector
but there were plenty of sample configs and eventually I got it to
work.  Battery life is approx 1.5 hours under constant use.  Speedstep
helps extend that.  I don't have suspend to disk or RAM working (this
alone really makes the Mac attractive to me, BTW).

David