writeImageFile() without snapshot()?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Oct 7 18:13:44 UTC 2005

You might get away with no GC before a snapshot but please remember
that you do need to do various shutdown work to make the written
snapshot have a serious chance of being restartable.

I'm not in a position to provide a list; never tried it so I don't
know what would go wrong. I _do_ know that a similar 'neat trick'
cost PPS a very large amount of engineer time (and therefore direct
money out of my budget as manager of the dept. back then) when so
twerp at a Large Oval Logo Company decided that snapshotting in the
background every few minutes would be a Good Idea. I can't recall the
details any longer - getting too old - but it took _months_ to track
down the problem. It was escalated to a total emergency, the GC was
blamed, my engineers were blamed, I was blamed, the customer was
adamant that they had never, would never, could never have done
anything that could have caused it. When we solved the problem and
proved it was their code I don't recall anybody even saying thanks.

So all in all I'm not sure I'd recommend doing a regular raw snapshot
in the background.

tim