OFF Topics :: PC-laptop or Powerbook

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Oct 7 20:11:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 12:56 -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Yes, so I've 35 windows open across a dozen or more apps on my mac.
> Grab machine, close
> cover, move, open cover, instant on, just works.
>
> But I've noticed Windows users typically shut everything down, power
> off, reboot, (wait...)
> Something they tell me about their distrust with the hardware vendor
> or OS vendors ability to make the
> machine sleep without death come visiting...
>
> Can't speak for linux laptops, haven't seen much about what those
> users do.

I really didn't want to reply to this thread but. .. I have Debian Linux
installed on a Fujitsu subnotebook (3 or 4 years old now I guess) and it
has been running now for months.  I just close it as you say and it
suspends everything other than RAM refresh and some timer related
functions.  Then after an hour of that it automatically writes RAM to a
special partition on the disk and shuts down.  In either case if I open
the subnote again it comes right back up to where I left it (with a few
seconds delay for loading RAM back if it has hibernated).  However I
should not that software in BIOS is doing most of the work here and the
installed OS is largely irrelevant.

Ken