Flash Support In Squeak

Ron Teitelbaum HORonT at Earthlink.net
Sat Oct 8 02:07:51 UTC 2005

[21:52] darron: I assume you want to process the .swf file?

[21:52] darron: or maybe create a .swf file?

[21:52] Its Me Ron T: I think they want to do both

[21:52] darron: the file format is open, I sent you a download link to it

[21:52] darron: as well as libraries that already do this

[21:52] Its Me Ron T: wonderfull

[21:52] darron: in .NET, Java, etc

[21:52] Its Me Ron T: Thank you.

[21:52] darron: there aren't any smalltalk ones as far as I know

[21:52] Its Me Ron T: so no reason we can't do it too then

[21:52] darron: but it's a matter of porting, not reinventing the wheel

[21:52] darron: yeah

[21:52] Its Me Ron T: very cool

[21:53] darron: and if smalltalk can invoke native c code, I would say just
"extern" functions and use the ming library

[21:53] Its Me Ron T: yeah it can

[21:53] darron: then you dont have to write anything :-)

[21:53] Its Me Ron T: that's even better

[21:53] darron: http://ming.sourceforge.net/

[21:53] darron: I think ming only writes .swf, not reads it

[21:54] darron: but yeah, plenty of stuff out there...

Hi Ron,

Are you trying to create a smalltalk program to process the .swf file
format?  The person who said the file format hasn't been updated since
version 3 doesn't know what their talking about..  The file format for
version 7 can be found here:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flash/flash_file_format_specification.pdf

There is a version 8 available that was just released, but the format
documentation hasn't quite caught up yet.

Also, there are a lot of libraries already available for creating / parsing
.swf files ( so you don't have to reinvent the wheel, you can just port to
smalltalk as necessary if you'd like ).  Check out the listings here ( under
command line tools, compilers, etc )

http://www.osflash.org/doku.php?id=open_source_flash_projects

I hope this was helpful.. let me know if I can help anymore.  :-)

-d

Ron at USMedRec.com wrote:

>From: Ron Teitelbaum

>Message: Hey Darron,

>I'm working on squeak smalltalk and someone send this message to the user
group.  Is it true, or could you help get some documentation?