OFF Topics :: PC-laptop or Powerbook

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sun Oct 9 17:07:36 UTC 2005

John M McIntosh wrote:

> Yes, so I've 35 windows open across a dozen or more apps on my mac.
> Grab machine, close
> cover, move, open cover, instant on, just works.
>
> But I've noticed Windows users typically shut everything down, power
> off, reboot, (wait...)
> Something they tell me about their distrust with the hardware vendor
> or OS vendors ability to make the
> machine sleep without death come visiting...
>
> Can't speak for linux laptops, haven't seen much about what those
> users do.

Linux+ACPI support varies from machine to machine.  I run the latest
kernel but it still doesn't support suspend properly (although other
ACPI funtions work well, like temp and battery power measurements).  I
previously used a Sony VAIO where it worked perfectly.  I was just
commenting on my personal experience here.  The "linux on laptops" page,
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/, can give you a nice idea how well such
things work on a specific laptop.

David