A real forum for Squeak

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Mon Oct 10 16:49:26 UTC 2005

Hello Christophe,

CT>  I’mlookingfor a forum about Squeak like phpBB (or
CT> smallBB??). I think a forum isbetter thana mailing list because of
CT> users can organize discussions by themes and,userscan subscribe to
CT> subjects or kind of subjects to follow

I am much happier with a mailing list. Themes (topics) sometimes are
misleading and most maireaders can follow a thread. Sometimes topics
tend to digress but I might be interested in that digession more than
the topic. When I need something usually I use full text search
(google or better my stored mails).

CT> discussions.Furthermore,everybody can easily consult old messages

squeak dev is archived, Google helps. They have more computing power
for my searches in old mails than a forum (co)hosted on a single server.
The fastest way to retrieve information from the swiki is to have
Google search it instead of using its own search function.

CT> and users with rights canmanage theorganizations of subjects. If

Who will do that work? I remember one topic and a "user with rights"
managed to reorganize it. I have to start searching.

Usually everything that comes over the web is slow. And it's down when
I need it urgently :) The web is a good place for things you don't
really need. When I need a web page I store it on my hard drive where
I'm sure it isn't removed or altered.

I'm sure there are other uses of squeak dev that might be served
better with a forum but for 'serious' use I prefer a mailing list. No
offense intended against non serious use. Squeak is fun after all.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net