Henrik Gedenryd has passed away

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Oct 11 16:58:49 UTC 2005

Josh Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
> I'm also saddened to hear of Henrik's passing.  I've often wondered
> what became of him, and have googled him several times over the last
> years, to no avail.  I imagined that exasperation at the failure of

I have too. I recall Brian Rice (Slate) asked me about him (since we are
both from Sweden), I think he wanted to know more about the UC stuff
etc.

But the other day I really took the time to go thorugh ALL google hits
and then I found one which gave it away from inside ACM (could not get
to the document itself) - it said "late Henrik Gedenryd".

> 3.3 caused him to wander away from Squeak, and always hoped that he
> would come back.

I don't really think he did wander "away" from Squeak, as I said, I have
email correspondence upto right before november 2002. I think he just
got temporarily busy with other things, like work etc.

>  It is hard to reconcile the reality with the
> imaginary life that I had given him during the last years.

Yes, quite an odd feeling. And it makes you wonder how many other
Squeakers that just seem to "leave" may in fact have passed on. I have
too, on many occasions wondered what he was up to. It also makes you
wonder how oneself might be remembered if something happened.

>  His work
> is an inspiration to me, and I regret never having met him in person.
>
> Josh

He sure was interesting to talk and listen to, which I did a lot at
OOPSLA that year.

I have on many times thought I would go back and dig in his Modules code
to look into it more closely. I recall several parts of it that was
really neat, like the separation of load and activation of Modules and
the technique used for activation (a big become: operation).

One cool thing with Henrik was that he dared challenge the "Gods" of
Smalltalk and actually propose and push a radical change. Regardless of
the merits of the change itself - I found that refreshing. And we should
try to do it more.

regards, Göran