Need to do something

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Tue Oct 11 21:23:29 UTC 2005

I've had a vague notion about this for a while, but still find it difficult to
articulate.  Let me try..

The key point you mentioned is, we need a way for the process to "support
itself".  For this to happen, I think we need to find a process that converts
"selfish energy" into the desired results for the community.

The tough part is how to do it.  I don't have a solid a solution, but my
"intuition" suggests these characteristics of the solution:

  - distributed harvestation rather than centralized like now
  - harvesting effort required from submitter, the one who has a vested
interest in seeing it in base Squeak
  - harvesting approvals done by community "acceptance or rejectance"

Stop pushing them through Mantis or any other external tool.  Instead, we write
a program that integrates into Squeak that allows anyone to submit directly
from the alpha image.  These submissions appear on everyones list.  Later the
"download count" (or whatever) for that submission indicates the relative
interest, as well as community member comments and up or down votes.  The
community accepts or rejects it as a whole and, as soon as it is "accepted"
then it becomes part of the alpha image that auto-loads for the
non-participants.

I'm sorry this is very pie-in-the-sky.  It would require some initial
programming work, but Squeak has what is needed to implement it.  Once
operational, the continuous "expense" that is harvesting would be divided
according to the desire and energy of those wanting to impose their
improvements.

Regards,
 Chris