Need to do something

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Thu Oct 13 02:11:49 UTC 2005

Hi.

I have felt the urge to answer to this thread since the first mail, because
what seems to have nearly burned out Stephane and Marcus is the
MorphicSplitters changes I made. So I have a sense of guilt. But I didn't
know what to say. Now Andreas helped me clarify my ideas.

Yes, the problem is that the Harvesters need to check everything. Yes, this
does not happen with clearly owned packages as those Andreas said. What do
these packages have in common? They were developed outside of the official
release. Several were later loaded in the release, but their ownership was
not lost. Others aren't included in the release.

We should do the same with troublesome packages, like Morphic. But those
packages Andreas said were not essential to use Squeak. And Morphic is
central to many users of Squeak. So it must work at least as well as it does
currently. So giving it to someone without a having security net is too
dangerous.

The only solution I see, is to refrain from enhancing Morphic in the
standard release. Only bugfixes and perhaps support for ToolBuilder should
be harvested. This means discarding the MorphicSplitters stuff I worked on
for 8 months. Forget about any look enhancements.

I should build an alternative Morphic package, without any Etoys stuff and
without anything  I don't like. An owned package, owned by me, that shows my
decisions and coding style. Then, anyone who happens to like it can load it
in his image. And anyone who feels the urge to make his Squeak look "cooler"
should do the same. At some moment in the future, it might be worth
replacing the old messy Morphic with one of the alternatives that would be
mature by the time. It could be a cleaned Morphic, or Tweak or whatever.

(I'm talking about Morphic here. Font rendering is not part of Morphic. I'd
love to see subpixel rendering of true type in the official Squeak.)

Andreas, WRT, "First, since a long time back (3.4? 3.5?) nothing has
been actually been packagized in Squeak. Oh yes, there has been *talk*
about "how easy it would be" (hah!) but nothing has been done (and I put
this finger squarely at whatever group feels itself at the helm today:
all these groups failed *miserably* in this regard)." I hope you hadn't
looked at the MorphicSplitters stuff I published a month ago. It's the
result of a serious effort to split Morphic in packages. It has't been
loaded in the update stream or any official version, but that does not mean
we failed miserably. If you looked at it, and say that, then I feel
offended.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich