updates vs. images

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:58:28 UTC 2005

On 10/13/05, Cees De Groot <cdegroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/05, Jason Rogers <jacaetevha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought about that as well.  Couldn't we set up a bittorrent for our images?
>
> That doesn't solve a lot if the last mile is a slow and expensive
> modem connection, does it?

But don't a lot of clients support interrupts and restarts?  That was
my  biggest issue when I was on a modem connection.  You start
downloading and the connection gets interrupted, now you have to
reconnect and start from the beginning again -- wasted time!

You might say time itself (low bandwidth = longer time) is the issue
with a modem -- I don't know a way around that except smaller
downloads, in which case we would need to keep the update stream or
use Naiad (or something similar).

I have heard of image segments as well (don't know anything about
them).  Do they represent a smaller chunk of a larger system?  If so,
maybe we could offer them as the "update stream."

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20