updates vs. images -- where is the real issue?

Michal michal-list at auf.net
Thu Oct 13 17:19:54 UTC 2005

Avi - can you be more specific about this:

> although Monticello is a pretty decent tool for development work
> ... it's showing itself to be a really bad tool for deploying
> changes.

I see all the pain that Marcus and Stephane are going through while
trying out the new setup, but I don't see that they are hitting
problems that don't have manageable technical solutions. In fact you
yourself proposed what looks like a workable solution for many of them
here:

http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?list=packages&cmd=showmsg&msgnum=312

and Daniel just summarised other options on the packages list. So I'm
curious which concrete problems made you jump to the dramatic
suggestion that we should throw away what is one of the core and
coolest asset of squeak (the image as a long lived artifact of code
and non-code alike)?

Michal