Need to do something

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Oct 14 06:37:54 UTC 2005

Chris Muller wrote:
> Watch me.  I *will* rewrite it over the top of your head and submit it to
> SqueakMap with a "[ANN] New And Improved Chess Game" to the list.  And the
> community will love it so much that it will become part of base Squeak.  What
> will you do about it?

Go for it. Just as long as you don't expect me to maintain that code.
But *if* you want me to maintain that code then I do expect you to
respect my ownership of the code and to work with me instead of against me.

> Tim wrote:
>>And as for complaining about people messing with Chess code - well
>>did _you_ show any signs of ownership or care? Did you fix bugs,
>>bring up to date etc? Yes, I'm sure you're busy but who isn't? Why
>>would you expect anyone else to put in effort to maintain packages
>>when you don't?
>

> This is an example of ownership becoming bottleneck.

Only if you can show that there was actually anything that needed to be
done. I'm still waiting for that...

>>Again,
>>the point is that you need to respect someone's ownership of their code
>>and that means you don't do changes over their head.
>
> With Tweak, you make changes to base Smalltalk over the head of Alan and Dan,
> right?

Wrong. So very wrong, you wouldn't believe it. Dan (and John) are the
reason why Tweak started from scratch. They didn't like (or perhaps
didn't understand) what I was after so I decided (out of respect for
them and their work) to write it from scratch. If that had been
different, I would have reworked Morphic itself (originally Tweak was
based on Morphic of course). I have always seen Squeak as "Dan's baby"
and I always had and have the greatest respect for what he has created.

As for Alan ... *grinning wildly* you should try to do things over
Alan's head sometime. You really should, I'm sure it would be a unique
experience ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas