Need to do something

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Oct 15 19:01:59 UTC 2005

Martin Kuball wrote:

>Am Friday, 14. October 2005 22:57 schrieb Samir Saidani:
>

>>Chris Muller <chris at funkyobjects.org> writes:
>>

>>>One more point is I don't believe code "ownership" will
>>>ultimately satisfy because it requires unreasonable expectations
>>>from someone (the owner) and creates a bottleneck.  How can you
>>>rely on that?
>>>

>>Putting our code in the public domain. Code ownership implies
>>complexity. Personally I consider I'm writing code anonymously,
>>even if the name is here for practical purpose. This code has no
>>licence, and no owner. A not licenced code does not mean that you
>>cannot licenced this code, it would be a contradiction. Take it and
>>put whatever licences you want. The fact is that the code has no
>>owner, and the illusion is that you think that you are the owner.
>>
>>Samir
>>

>Oh come on now, you don't think code ownership is about legal issues
>here. If some code is actively maintained by a person or a group and
>other people keep changing that code in ways the maintainer(s) do not
>like, chances are the maintainer(s) will just abandon their job. Bit
>rot sets in and if no new maintainer takes responsibility sooner or
>later people will start to complain about that code.
>
>And last but not least it's a matter of paying respect to the
>maintainer. He or they are doing a job for the benefit of the
>community. I think they can excpect to be asked before someone starts
>editing the code. It would be another matter if you just take the
>code, change it and either not publish it or publish it as a new
>package.

Amen.
I agree with the vast majority of posts: if a team creates or maintains
code, it's up to the team to maintain and make it available to the
public. Reports to mantis should be reviewed by the team and the team
decides how to accommodate the defects. Same applies to one individual.
I would feel that I'm stepping on someone's toes if I "fixed" something
and put it back as the fix. If it's my private image, that's completely
different.

I think this is a no brainer. Don't know why it's such a heated
argument. (there must be more to it than I see)
brad

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124