fixing undescores

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Oct 18 04:49:19 UTC 2005

On 17-Oct-05, at 7:13 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> You know, last time this came up I swear it was a flamewar.  I
> think I may even have been against changing it.  But I can't for
> the life of me think why...
>
> I'm quite fond of the arrow glyph, and I don't particularly like
> typing := but the current system really is a little irritating.

The real problem is that all the other dimwits out there messed up
the fonts etc. Since we don't seem to have enough armoured divisions
to sort things out the traditional way I have a suggestion that might
interest someone enough to lead to some code.

Instead of actually changing the assignment symbol to := and
requiring two keystrokes (with a release of shiftkey in the middle,
really annoying) how about
adding a decent left-arrow to the fonts
making the file-out-code methods convert our single char to a ':='
string
making the file-in code change a ':=' to our single char
making a suitable (mappable, please. I'd like to keep '_' as my
choice) keystroke translate to our char.

If it really bothers people to convert arrow to' :=' and back, maybe
change the displayChars methods to convert on the fly? I think
perhaps, maybe, that might even allow us to have a private arrow
glyph and not have to mess with the font.

Externally readable code will please most people. Internal code will
please me. Nobody  needs to suffer too much. Peace will reign, at
least in Squeakitania.

tim
This .sig left blank because Apple screwed up Mail scripting