Need to do something

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Oct 18 22:11:29 UTC 2005

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> Yes please propose something that we can start building on top.

And I thought that was just what I did ;-) So again:
- More maintainers. Actively look for people with a vested interest in
the various areas and let them deal with whatever comes up. Trust them.
Give them responsibility, let them decide which direction to take.

- Change the role of what is currently understood to be the "harvesters"
to something like a "release tester" group. The role of which group is
mostly to do integration testing by loading the packages from the
various maintainer's sites and test them. If there are issues the
release testers should report them back to the package maintainers and
work with them to fix these. Unilateral actions should only be taken if
a maintainer is unresponsible and there is real time pressure.

- Another task of the release maintainer could be (if that is deemed
useful) to figure out how to load the various package versions to update
an existing system. Or maybe that's the task for an entirely new group
of people.

Obviously, the main issue is #1.

Cheers,
   - Andreas