Help, please, for OSProcess on MacOS.

Martin Snelgrove snelgar at dissonance.com
Wed Oct 19 02:21:17 UTC 2005

I often have to use big number-crunching packages with vile
interfaces, and like the look of Squeak to add a layer
to make it bearable.

My understanding is that that means I want OSProcess and its plugin,
but I'm on Mac OS X (10.4.2). The most
recent story I see is from http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/708 and
says that "Placeholder classes are provided
for MacOS, OS/2 and RiscOS, but are not yet implemented."

I have also seen posts flying around that suggest that some people
have had pieces of OSProcess working on Macs,
so I tried loading and .configuring things for a bit, but with no
sign that Squeak was paying any attention to my efforts.
I have a "UnixOSProcessPlugin.c" file to show for my efforts, which
looks fine to my untrained eye, and at one
point was able to gcc it with enough includes to get a file that
looks to Unix like:

             Plugins $ file Unix*Plugin
             UnixOSProcessPlugin: Mach-O dynamically linked shared
library ppc

I also jammed a copy of that into a faked-up .bundle, but that
doesn't do anything either.

1262.") and doing ./configure is also failing for me.
I've tried various combinations of options that I found mentioned in
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/
  to configure: the one that got the farthest was

             ../config/configure --with-src=src32 --without-x --with-
cocoa

and gives the error message
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_fetchLong32ofObject
_getThisSessionID
_obsoleteDontUseThisFetchWordofObject
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [squeak] Error 1

I also tried "make plugins", since I'm perfectly happy with my
3.8.6b6 image, but that says:
/Users/snelgar/sqk/platforms/unix/vm-display-Quartz/sqUnixQuartz.m:
611: error: 'sqKeyboardEvent' has no member named 'reserved2'

For possibly helpful version info: "OSProcessPlugin about:" says:

Your system does not have an installed plugin module. Your current
configuration is Squeak3.6 of '6 October 2003' [latest update: #5429]
Squeak VM 3.8.6b6 with UnixOSProcessPlugin version 4.0 using concrete
class UnixOSProcessPluginNoThisSessionAvailable installed with
OSProcess version 4.0, running on 1042 Mac OS VM with installed
plugin (OSProcessPlugin installed module not accessible).

Am I
1) wasting my time trying to install something that isn't even close?
2) just missing some bundle or CFLAGS or configure pixie dust?
3) other?

     thanks in advance
         ws