Help, please, for OSProcess on MacOS.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 19 11:20:10 UTC 2005

Bert already has suggested to download the precompiled VM, which
is certainly the easiest solution. But as far as the errors you
are getting in your VM build, here are some ideas:

- You are running a Squeak 3.6 image, probably with an older version
of VMMaker. Using Squeak 3.6 to build the VM is no problem at all,
but you will need to load a recent VMMaker to match the recent
version of source code from SVN. I'm not sure of the "official"
way to do this, but I have been able to grab versions of Tim's
VMM packages with hrefs like this:
http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/SqFiles/packages/VMMaker/VMMaker-tpr.39.mcz

- The other way to ensure that the VMM version matches the source
version is to just use a source tarball from Ian's web site, along
with VMMaker from SqueakMap. This will not be the most up to date
version of either, but it is much more likely to build without
problems. The latest OSPP 4.0 should still work fine with the
older code base (but read the "changes" window after loading OSPP
for a couple of gotchas).

- The latest OSProcess (4.0) will work with the older precompiled
VM and OSPP plugin, or with an up-to-date one that you build for
yourself. Using the pre-built one should be fine for what you are
trying to do.

Dave

p.s. If you do manage to build your own VM with OSPP 4.0, I
would appreciate if you could run 'OSProcess allTestResults'
and mail me the resulting output file, which will have a name
like "OSProcessTestResults-unix-32bitImage-32bitHw.txt". I don't
have access to a Mac for testing OSProcess, so this will give
me a better idea of what is actually working on OSX.