Actually doing something!

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 18:10:29 UTC 2005

goran at krampe.se wrote:
> 1. Contact me or Ken if you want to Steward one of the current PIs in
> 3.9a.

Consider yourself contacted ;-) I'll sign up for:

* Graphics
* Balloon
* Compression
* FFI

I don't think there is any doubt as to my qualifications in these areas
(after all I wrote probably half of the code in these packages ;-) but
if you have any doubts, please ask. The reason why I am choosing these
packages and not others is simply that they are also critical to the
work in Tweak and Croquet and therefore deserve special attention on my
part.

In the next step, I'll figure out where to put the master repositories
for the above packages (e.g., SqF or Impara, where the latter has better
maintenance as far as I am concerned) and look for further people who
have an interest in the above areas. If you are interested in any of
these areas, please let me know so we can get started. I am *definitely*
looking for more people since my time is limited and I would like to
have some active co-maintainers.

Let me also briefly outline my initial plans for the above packages. In
the FFI and Compression package, stability and consistency are the most
important goals right now. I have no plans to do any major changes, just
making sure things work as well (or better) as they are right now. I
will request that the FFI be removed from the "basic" image, however. It
has no more right to be in a basic image than VMMaker ;-)

Balloon will see some work. Initially, it will be split into (roughly)
three packages: The actual "Balloon" package will consist exclusively of
the rendering related parts. The "Truetype" package will deal with
TTFontDescription and friends. Finally, the "Flash" package will deal
with the flash stuff in there. Since I am not planning to put any effort
into maintaining anything Morphic related I am interested in splitting
out and handing over the flash package alltogether. If you are
interested, let me know.

Finally, the graphics package. While stability is a major goal here too,
I am planning to do some modifications. This includes rectifying the
dichotomy between the "regular" and the "multi" text processing
facilities and to make sure that "multi" text processing is as fast (or
faster) as "regular" text processing. In the long term, this also
includes a better approach to scalable graphics (Ned's work with cairo
will play a role here).

None of these issues are any pressing matter, so it'll definitely take
some time to get done and I have no intention to declare victory by next
week or so ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas