Smalltalk at oopsla

Alexandre Bergel bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Oct 20 14:52:42 UTC 2005

Hello,

Today is the last day of oopsla. It was a really cool surprise to see
how many times Smalltalk was cited during talks and how many
compliments it obtained. Here some particular moment I enjoyed:
     - Before the keynote of Mary Beth, James Noble said something
like: "Eclipse tries to achieve something that Smalltalk did 20 years
ago, and remains still behind". The room was completely full at that
time.
     - The room where the Croquet workshop hold was completely full,
even if the organization was a bit shaky (please, do not take it
bad :-), this was really cool! The room was completely full, and it
did not contains only smalltalkers, but also people who were just
curious and wanted to learn more.
     - David Reed gave a talk on Croquet, and the room was really
big, and was completely full.
     - Roel Wuyts was chair of the Symposium on Dynamic Languages.
And again, the room was too small to contain all the attendees :-)
Especially for the very last talk given by Brian Foote; the doors had
to left open in order to make people standing  outside able to listen.
     - Martin McClure organized a Squeak BOF. That was really cool.
Again, some people came here just to learn more about squeak/smalltalk.

I was also delighted to see that some technical presentations in the
research tracks shown DrScheme into action. Kathryn did a demo using
DrScheme, and it was really cool!

Also, I felt that Smalltalk had more attention than Ruby and other
Python. This oopsla was a wonderful opportunity to meet people in real.

Keep going Smalltalkers! We have cool things to show, and we have to
show them!
I would like to give big hands to Roel and Martin to have organized
their events.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel